Tonight I decided to start assembling another NoblARF, so I got out the fuselage and an OS 35S and drilled the mounting holes. This time all 4 holes came out slightly outboard of center. It's as though this one is slightly smaller than my first one. I wanted to reinforce the mounts anyway, so I will see how much room I have and just how creative I need to get. This one will also get the same type of steel clunk tank as the first one got that worked so well. We'll see just how creative I need to get before I'm finished.
This is the first stage of the reinforcement of the motor mounts.
All that is left is to clean up the work and final coat it with something that will fuel proof it.
The crash that made my mind up to assemble the new NoblARF seems to have done some damage to the OS S35ABC. It hasn't run right since. I swapped it out for the sister engine and will hopefully see this Sunday what is what.
With the completion of the profile NoblARF, I'm back on the next Noblarf. I have recently acquired another Noblarf kit, but more on that one later. I have set up the controls a little different than the recommended configuration. I have the flap pushrod in the inner hole in the bellcrank. The elevator pushrod will go into the center hole in the bellcrank. The elevator pushrod will go into the outer hole in the elevator horn, so should be somewhere near right. The idea was to reduce the flap throw in relation to the elevator throw.
I am now on final assembly on NoblARF #2. Wing is installed, stab is installed, elevators are going on now. I need to do a couple of tanks for this thing and NoblARF #3 already in the planning stages. I think #3 will take the Fox 35 with the plasma P&C from Tony Cincotta. UPDATE: Elevators are done. These are the smoothest controls yet. I am planning to install the rudder with silicon seal RTV to make it a break away unit. That way, if (when) I crash inverted (again), the rudder should come off in one piece, instead of several. (Tested, it works)
I am now working on the tanks for #2 and #3. I hope they work better than the one I made for #1. UPDATE: Both tanks are done. It took several tries as the base for the tanks are 30 year old or better Kap-Pak rectanks. One tank is installed in NoblARF #2, the other will be ready for #3 when it's ready.
I mounted the OS 35S I am planning to use, and in the process, I found the o-ring under the venturi was missing. The main problem that would give is the inability to choke the engine. I had to steal an O-ring from another venturi. Next step is fitting the fiberglass cowling.
Maiden flight done today plus 2 more. First flight using a Rev Up 10-6W. It got loose at the top of an inside loop. Switched to a Tornado wood 11-5, what a difference. I think it needs some tip weight. Chip muffler ran perfectly, but works against the exhaust stack. I need to try a different muffler. I also need to fit the cowling.